PS Mission Editor Released Demo/Retail

PS mods and documentation

Moderators: Moderators, Developers

Postby timetraveller » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:36 pm

[quote="PS_gamelover"]well, just that it happend to me like in the middle of the mission.

Yes, that's when it always seems to happen. Which is what makes it such a weird bug. Generally scripting problems show up right away.

I've made some pretty simple missions that fail this way. No AI, no aircraft, just a few ships sitting there letting the game AI take over firing at each other.

Has anyone seen this bug happen in a PS mission (off the retail CD)?
timetraveller
Major
Major

Postby PS_gamelover » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:42 pm

Still waitin for PS to come in stores like wal-mart or target, but they have it at gamestop but only 3 out of the whole town.Three lucky customers might get it first tho then I have to wait longer.
PS_gamelover
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby PS_gamelover » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:49 pm

Also, a few times the "underwater" ship bug didnt happen.
PS_gamelover
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby PS_gamelover » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:45 pm

timetraveler, How did the strait and evolution missions dont have the ships disappeared? I been trying to rename the missions I created because on the sp menu on tatical missions it said "main", but I trying to rename it so it will be the leyte bay battle mission.
PS_gamelover
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby timetraveller » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:34 am

[quote="PS_gamelover"]timetraveler, How did the strait and evolution missions dont have the ships disappeared?

That's a very good question, and one that has been bugging me too. I hope we can solve it.

[quote="PS_gamelover"]I been trying to rename the missions I created because on the sp menu on tatical missions it said "main", but I trying to rename it so it will be the leyte bay battle mission.

Mission names are in the MissionsText.tt file. You have to unpack the demo or retail game to get to it. For the demo, unpack the text .sma file, the small one. The retail game is slightly different, I'll explain that in a minute.

Demo.
Next, open MissionsText.tt in Wordpad and do a search on "beginmission8" and you will see the mission name. Make the change, resave, then you will have to repack the MissionsText.tt file back into the same .sma file. That's the only way to do it (repacking). For some reason, the game won't pick up the changed MissionsText.tt file if you save it in the \units or other folders.

Retail.
My retail game has 2 text .sma files (the small ones). Each has a MissionsText.tt file in it. The one to change is the one in texts_en.sma. Make the change as told above, then repack the .sma.

Note.
If you're looking around, you'll also find a MissionsText.tt file in the big .sma pack file, both in the demo and the retail. Just ignore them.
-----------------------------------------------

Let me know if you have troubles.

The 2 .mis files (xxx_usa.mis and xxx_jap.mis).
You can add more of these to the /templates folder, and another mission name will show in the game menu. Trouble is, it's the same "main" name each time.

To fix:
Open each .mis file for the mission and change the BeginMissionKey value to a new variable name. Then, add that variable name to the MissionsText.tt file. Make it look just like the _beginmission8 one does.

Hope this helps.
timetraveller
Major
Major

Postby PS_gamelover » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:24 pm

Maybe. :)
PS_gamelover
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby PS_gamelover » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:28 pm

I think I found a way to do not make the ships go underwater.I remove some script text like the bindings and stock routines then when I play the mission I made the underwater bug never happens. I try it 5 times without the bug.
PS_gamelover
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby timetraveller » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:01 pm

[quote="PS_gamelover"]I think I found a way to do not make the ships go underwater.I remove some script text like the bindings and stock routines then when I play the mission I made the underwater bug never happens. I try it 5 times without the bug.

I tried removing both of those but still had the bug (one time anyway). I'll fool with it some more. What I need to do is take a better look at the difference between the Surgaio Strait mission and what the editor is putting out.

Thanks PS_gamelover.
timetraveller
Major
Major

Postby PS_gamelover » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:37 pm

thats what I did.
PS_gamelover
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby PS_gamelover » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:45 am

[quote="timetraveller"][quote="PS_gamelover"][quote="timetraveller"][quote="PS_gamelover"]whn ar u going to update the mission editor?

Update it for what?

To do not make the ships go underwater and still alive and firing.

Yes, I would love to find this problem. It might be a game bug, I don't know. Maybe Buka could create a mission or two and test it out. I can't see any script error from the editor that would make this happen.

Also have a 3d version of the mission edtior so I can create pearl harbor type missions so I know where to put the ships in the map.
PS_gamelover
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby timetraveller » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:32 pm

[quote="PS_gamelover"][quote="timetraveller"][quote="PS_gamelover"][quote="timetraveller"][quote="PS_gamelover"]whn ar u going to update the mission editor?

Update it for what?

To do not make the ships go underwater and still alive and firing.

Yes, I would love to find this problem. It might be a game bug, I don't know. Maybe Buka could create a mission or two and test it out. I can't see any script error from the editor that would make this happen.

Also have a 3d version of the mission edtior so I can create pearl harbor type missions so I know where to put the ships in the map.

Great idea. Maybe in time. It involves a lot more work. It would be nice to have some sort of map outline in the editor. Editing ground units would be nice but realistically that won't happen for this editor. Too much work, not enough enthusiasm and game knowledge on my part.
timetraveller
Major
Major

scripts

Postby hraban » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:05 pm

@Timetraveller

I have a small problem with the scripts. Would you know please an example post, so that one can orient oneself as a "foreign language genius" to it ?
For possibly a reason the interpreter puts on me always amusingly from the side. of because of: “the group is not defined”

A further challenge is that everything ship which I sets - despite waypoints and speed indication - no move makes.

Please forgive the bad style and the perhaps not completely understandable irony.
hraban
Draftee
Draftee

Re: scripts

Postby timetraveller » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:34 pm

[quote="hraban"]@Timetraveller

I have a small problem with the scripts. Would you know please an example post, so that one can orient oneself as a "foreign language genius" to it ?
For possibly a reason the interpreter puts on me always amusingly from the side. of because of: “the group is not defined”

A further challenge is that everything ship which I sets - despite waypoints and speed indication - no move makes.

Please forgive the bad style and the perhaps not completely understandable irony.

Sorry, I don't fully understand your question hraban. The editor should generate examples for you.

Not sure why your units aren't moving at mission start. If you set an AI path, the ship or plane will start out on that path as soon as the mission starts.
timetraveller
Major
Major

problem with German retail Version

Postby hraban » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:39 am

I use the mission editor with the german retail version of PS.
Me light, as if german PS with the missions from the editor did not get along.

1. No object moves along the AI pathes
2. PS generate randomly american units without ammunition for the Japanese and American side (!) [allways CL and CA for both sides]
hraban
Draftee
Draftee

Re: problem with German retail Version

Postby timetraveller » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:14 pm

[quote="hraban"]I use the mission editor with the german retail version of PS.
Me light, as if german PS with the missions from the editor did not get along.

1. No object moves along the AI pathes
2. PS generate randomly american units without ammunition for the Japanese and American side (!) [allways CL and CA for both sides]

Please e-mail me the .WAR file of your mission and I'll have a look. It's in the editor's \missions folder.

[email protected]
timetraveller
Major
Major

.war file

Postby hraban » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:33 pm

@Timetraveller

The .war file is on the way.
hraban
Draftee
Draftee

Re: .war file

Postby timetraveller » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:43 pm

[quote="hraban"]@Timetraveller

The .war file is on the way.

hraban,

Thanks for sending. I looked at your mission. The ships are moving along the AI paths for me. You can see their wakes too.

Realize that your mission covers the entire map. Your units are 100KM+ apart. It will take a long time for them to come together.

Try making the mission area smaller, and play with the camera path too. The camera path is 100KM+ also. Too long.

Good luck.

TT
timetraveller
Major
Major

Postby JanMasterson » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:22 pm

in the frenchspeaking version of the game, the missions files are not with a .war extension, they are .mis, for ex. "1_pearl_jap.mis".
Can you make an adapted version of the mission editor please?
"Let my playing be my learning, and my learning be my playing."
Johan Huizinga

JanMasterson
Major
Major

Postby KiloAlpha4 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:33 pm

.war file is only used by the editor do not use it in the game. Once you select save to game it will write the proper .mis files but if you choose save just to the editor folder I believe it saves it only as the mission editors own .war file. The option is there to save files if editing parameters manually I believe also ( haven't used editor since I finished testing it )
KiloAlpha4
General
General

Postby timetraveller » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:57 pm

Thanks, Kilo. Correct.

The .war file is just the map coordinates, AI, etc. of your mission and units. It is used to build the mission .mis and .lua files which get saved to the game folder if you choose that.

The editor should work with all versions of PS.
timetraveller
Major
Major

Postby JanMasterson » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:25 pm

Thanks for the infos guys, so how do i open and edit the .mis files?

(i understand fastly... but it require longs explanations ;) )
"Let my playing be my learning, and my learning be my playing."
Johan Huizinga

JanMasterson
Major
Major

Postby timetraveller » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:21 pm

[quote="JanMasterson"]Thanks for the infos guys, so how do i open and edit the .mis files?

(i understand fastly... but it require longs explanations ;) )

Well you can always edit either the .mis or .lua (script) files with any text editor. In this case Wordpad is better to use than Notepad.

However the mission editor creates these files automatically for you.
timetraveller
Major
Major

Mission editor update

Postby timetraveller » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:17 pm

Updated! The Pacific Storm mission editor. 1.0 MB

Get it at-
http://www.delraydepot.com/tt/ps.html

Build 790. Install over top of your existing version. Existing missions will be saved.

Bug Fixes-
1. Fixed map zoom indication. Text box width was too small to hold zoom values less than 1.
2. Fixed problem where a selected unit showed through the right panel.
3. Cleanup and correction of FILESYSTEMOBJECT code.
4. *Hopefully* have eliminated the problem where all ships suddenly go underwater.
5. Further tweaks to insure the combo boxes can't be typed over.
6. Added error check to validate game save file path to correct file path error.
7. Fixed problem where Unit Data box was not updated when changing unit speed, elevation, altitude.
8. Fixed mis-information in Help window and hotkeys.txt file.
9. Fixed non-functioning Edit Carrier Air Squads toolbar item.
10. Fixed problem with show/hide unit names toggle where names remained on.

Additions-
1. Added new toolbar menu items.
2. Added 3 new save options when creating OEModifications file to allow equipping units for different war eras.
3. Added convenient map zoomin/zoomout buttons to right panel.

Notes-
1. Unit serial numbers have been renamed in a slightly different format to fix the underwater ships problem. In the new system, unit u100 will now have a serial number of _u100. PSMissions will make the conversion for you for any existing mission .WAR files. For hand coded script files (.LUX files), you will have to make the change manually.
timetraveller
Major
Major

Postby PS_gamelover » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:26 am

timetraveller are u atill goin to make the 3d version of the mission editor? So I could put the ship in a harbor or in a group in a harbor?
Meet me at the trail
It's goin' down
Meet me at the mall
It's goin' down
Meet me at the club
It's goin'down
PS_gamelover
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby timetraveller » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:53 pm

[quote="PS_gamelover"]timetraveller are u atill goin to make the 3d version of the mission editor? So I could put the ship in a harbor or in a group in a harbor?

It would be nice, but not possible for me. Not enough "smarts" here, I'm afraid. Or time even if I had the smarts.
timetraveller
Major
Major

PreviousNext

Return to Pacific Storm Mods