sm.exe can not be found - Unable to locate component

Help area

Moderators: Moderators, Developers

sm.exe can not be found - Unable to locate component

Postby concort » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:05 pm

The install goes fine, but when I try to launch the game from the desktop icon, it brings up a window with the game performance variables (i.e. graphics, sound, etc) and then I just click OK and a message comes up that says sm.exe can not be found - Unable to locate component. The application failed to start because d3dx9_28.dll can not be found. ??? What's the problem? The install went fine. I reinstalled...And same thing.

Help!

Thank you.
concort
Airman
Airman

Postby TheArmChairGeneral » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:55 pm

You need to update your 3dx9 files. The d3dx9_28.dll is necessary for the game to run. I believe you can go to microsoft and get a 3d driver update. If not you may be able to get it at Filefront.com, or just Google D3Dx9_28 to find a copy. Also I'd suggest you update all your driver files, as this will help the game run better.
TheArmChairGeneral
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby concort » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:10 pm

Thanks so much. Will certainly try. A question or two (Forgive my ignorance to this stuff):

- What are my "3dx9 files" and are they something that's normally part of my Vista operating system?
- I have a fairly new PC running Vista. Shouldn't I already have all the latest and greatest to run this program? I install Battlefield 2 a couple of months ago and it works like a dream. Again, this is probably my ignorance coming out. Sorry.
- Aren't PC's suppose to update this stuff automatically? I typically use a Mac on a daily basis but remember my old PC (running XP) always had those annoying pop up windows that told me updates were available.

Thank so much for you help. That would be great to get this game running for my son!
concort
Airman
Airman

Postby TheArmChairGeneral » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:58 pm

Here's the scoop. PS came out in 2005/2006, and was designed to run on Windows XP or equivalent. The fix patches came out later, and used the D3Dx9_28.dll to run them. This error was well reported about 2 1/2 years ago. Since you are new, you couldn't have known this. At that time XP wasn't updating drivers for systems as a general rule. It's something you had to do manually. There's at least one product online that will check your system to find drivers that need updating. As far as Vista goes, you need to get the Ver. 1-2 to 1-6 patch fix. You will also need to find the SM.exe and tag it to run with Administrative rights to make it run properly. Vista may be blocking it's operation. I believe I did that to get it to run on Vista when I tried.
TheArmChairGeneral
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby concort » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:14 pm

Regarding:
You will also need to find the SM.exe and tag it to run with Administrative rights to make it run properly.

I did find a file called sm but there was no .exe after it. Could there be another? And how do I "tag" something with admin rights? I'm just not that bright on PCs.

thanks so much for you help though!
concort
Airman
Airman

Postby concort » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:33 am

OK, got it to work. I actually went to Microsofts site and downloaded the latest directX driver which solved THAT problem.

Now the game loads BUT it hangs on the very first screen that comes up with the picture of the three ships and the planes in the sky...Just after the load bar finishes load. It hangs. It just sits there...Locked up. What now? I know I only paid $10 for the game but c'mon let me at least complain about the graphics or the lack of missions or something regarding game play...NOT the fact that I can't even GET to the game. Any ideas? I forced quit and restarted game...Same results. Sits and hangs. This is basically a brand new PC with plenty of ram and processing speed....I mean I'm Battlefield 2, Soldier of Fortune, Medal of Honor...Just to name a few....With No problems what so ever. Now along comes this $10 game and it's acting like I need 24 terrabytes just to launch it.

Help!
concort
Airman
Airman

Postby TheArmChairGeneral » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:39 am

I know you do not have the game anymore, but to tag some thing you need to right click it and click on Run AS. The pop up window will give you the Administrator option. Also the SM you found is the EXE file. The full name is SM.exe, but the .exe is left off the visible name. If you pick the list option for the directory files, you will see the .exe, and other file endings like .png, .bat, .dll, .sma and others. Good luc k in the future.
TheArmChairGeneral
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby EICHMANN » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:20 pm

I HAVE DIRECTX 10 IN MY NEW VISTA AND I STILL GET THE ERROR SAYING D3DX9_D28.DLL CAN NOT BE FOUND. I HAVE TRIED ALL PATCHES.CAN ANYBODY HELP ME?
EICHMANN
Draftee
Draftee

Postby KiloAlpha4 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:33 am

they probably could if you'd stop posting the same thing in 3 separate threads... c'est en ze spamming...
KiloAlpha4
General
General

I am having the same problem

Postby darthreven » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:23 pm

I used to use PS on my old XP pc but it was so slow the game would freeze but the game WORKED. now i am trying to play it on my new vista labtop and the run file is missing so it only comes up with the graphic and sound options. when i click ok it closes the program and says the sm.exe file is not found. i looked in my hard drive for all the stuff from this game and it was all there except sm.exe. HELP THIS IS MY FAVORITE GAME FOR PC!!!! :-o
darthreven
Draftee
Draftee

Return to Pacific Storm Support