Game now rendered unplayable

Help area

Moderators: Moderators, Developers

Game now rendered unplayable

Postby prometheus » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:22 am

First of all, my computer exceedes the recommended requirements and runs on v1.6 patch. I have 1.75 gb of RAM, and I run on an ATI Radeon x1300 Pro. I use an HP Pavilion w/ 160 gb HD.

I will now state my LAUNDRY LIST of problems that I have:

1) Game will crash at the welcome screen (where it shows the three ships). It is sometimes accompanied by a "sm.exe has encountered..." but not all the time.

2) Game will freeze my computer whilst loading initial resources before it gets to the menu screen.

3) Game will REBOOT my computer whilst loading initial resources before it gets to the menu screen, and when I turn my computer back on, I always get a message saying "Windows has recovered from a serious error."

4) Game will REBOOT my computer when loading Battle Planner, see above for more details.

5) Game constantly refuses to load my saved games, crashing the game in the process and gives me the lovely error message.

6) Game crashes when it finally does load my campaign after about 5 minutes.

7) Game will send messages when campaign actually works in GERMAN!

8 ) Reinstalling is a one time thing, the game works once then it never works again until next reinstall (for me at least)

One thing I have not ecountered that apparently a lot of people have is crashing while in battle. This has never happened to me...at least yet.

If ANYONE has insight, or a Dev. like Ulixes sees this, pleeeeaaasssee report this.

I have logs, I will gladly send them to you if you want to take a look at them. I warn you, they are NOT SHORT.

I love this game, and I just want to play it!! :???:

Thank you

prometheus :beard:
Last edited by prometheus on Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
prometheus
Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Postby KiloAlpha4 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:52 am

Some things to try:

1) DO NOT LOAD SAVES PRIOR TO 1.6 if you are having problems. Saves store old data and may cause problems..I would move your saved game folder then do #2 below and then try your old saves. If you have a problem with a save then delete it.
2) I would definitely try a clean reinstall of pacific storm then patch right to 1.6 to avoid any possibility of corruption or problems in previous patches. When I beta tested the 1.6 patch I installed it from a clean install of pacific storm and had no problems like this.
3) DO NOT USE NO CD PATCHES ESPECIALLY FROM OLDER VERSIONS . I GUARANTEE YOU WILL HAVE CTD'S AND MANY STABILITY ISSUES
4) try to use your original backup arch0000.sma WITHOUT ANY MODDED FILES and the game's original gameparams.xml etc if using a modded one. same for any OEModifications changes.

I ask that any peeps with any 1.6 probs post ONLY in this thread and to please try what I posted above first namely the clean install and 1.6 patching..
KiloAlpha4
General
General

Postby prometheus » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:24 pm

[quote="KiloAlpha4"]Some things to try:

1) DO NOT LOAD SAVES PRIOR TO 1.6 if you are having problems. Saves store old data and may cause problems..I would move your saved game folder then do #2 below and then try your old saves. If you have a problem with a save then delete it.
2) I would definitely try a clean reinstall of pacific storm then patch right to 1.6 to avoid any possibility of corruption or problems in previous patches. When I beta tested the 1.6 patch I installed it from a clean install of pacific storm and had no problems like this.
3) DO NOT USE NO CD PATCHES ESPECIALLY FROM OLDER VERSIONS . I GUARANTEE YOU WILL HAVE CTD'S AND MANY STABILITY ISSUES
4) try to use your original backup arch0000.sma WITHOUT ANY MODDED FILES and the game's original gameparams.xml etc if using a modded one. same for any OEModifications changes.

I ask that any peeps with any 1.6 probs post ONLY in this thread and to please try what I posted above first namely the clean install and 1.6 patching..

I tried most of that stuff. I uninstalled Pac-Storm, deleted the folder, the saves, etc, then I reinstall, but I still get the same thing :-(

Could you elaborate more on #4? (i'm bad with computers)

Thank you kilo,

prometheus :-D
prometheus
Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Postby KiloAlpha4 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:00 pm

#4 is just if you have added any mods to the arch0000.sma to not in a fresh install and see if that may be causing issues. More of a troubleshooting option then anything else. I had this problem with theater of war where when I added a mod made by someone using german version my in game text turned german until I removed the mod.

Thank you kilo,

no prob, sorry to hear some of you guys are still having issues. If I can think of anything else I will post. Try also a registry cleaning and a defrag of your HD. I've seen some apps crash once my hard drive was fragmented and then stop crashing once defragged. Doesn't hurt to try anyhow and it's always a good idea to do it once in a while. When reinstalling a game you should do it in this order:

1) uninstall
2) reboot
3) delete any folder on main drive left and any other folder in documents & settings/user/etc
4) delete any registry keys
5) reboot and defrag
6) reinstall
7) reboot
8 ) patch ( try patching from inside the game folder )
9) reboot, adjust settings and play.

The reason for this is that some patches for games for some reason are very particular as to how they are installed. I have had this happen to me and had to do it in the above order to ensure they installed and worked correctly. I also recommend posting your crash log/steel monsters log if none of this helps you.

I will reinstall my PS and try the released patch myself to see what's going on with it vs my install if anything.
KiloAlpha4
General
General

Postby KiloAlpha4 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:47 pm

ok messages are in german....

Last edited by KiloAlpha4 on Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KiloAlpha4
General
General

Postby KiloAlpha4 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:57 pm

it's not the text files, the arch0001.sma files are english. Version 1.6.35.98. Played a campaign for a bit, had a battle attacking jap fleet and took a base, didn't have a ctd or reboot issue but that's me. Game seems to run fine for me besides the german message text prob.
KiloAlpha4
General
General

Postby akagi » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:08 am

hehe, just saw this patch. Haven't tried it yet, but i did notice the german text. I can deal with that as long as there are no ctd. :D
________
Rhode Island Dispensary
Last edited by akagi on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
akagi
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby prometheus » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:12 am

In response, KiloAlpha,

I appreciate the efforts you have tried to help me, but sadly it has failed :???:

I get the "Render system destroyed" error

I hope it doesn't happen in Allies :?
prometheus
Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Postby KiloAlpha4 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:23 am

lol np post your log where you see error: etc etc usually the last couple of lines at the bottom where it records the fatal ctd.
KiloAlpha4
General
General

Postby prometheus » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:43 am

19:52:03: SLDestroyFormation: SLFormation::~SLFormation child of 1204
19:52:04: GameConsole::saveHistory: Writing console history to ../data/modules/common/ConsoleHistory.xgz
19:52:04: Root Shutdown Correct
19:52:06: Ogre::D3D9RenderWindow::~D3D9RenderWindow: Destroying window object.
19:52:06: Render Target 'Pacific Storm' Average FPS: 62.633045 Best FPS: 178.286850 Worst FPS: 10.154526
19:52:06: Render Target 'Reflection' Average FPS: 0.000000 Best FPS: 0.000000 Worst FPS: 999.000000
19:52:06: D3D9 : Shutting down cleanly.
19:52:06: Ogre::D3D9RenderSystem::~D3D9RenderSystem: Render system destroyed.
prometheus
Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Postby KiloAlpha4 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:37 pm

19:52:06: Ogre::D3D9RenderSystem::~D3D9RenderSystem: Render system destroyed.

that's a normal part of shutdown check it after a ctd....or email me a copy of your log once you've had a crash and before launching the game again..
KiloAlpha4
General
General

Postby prometheus » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:40 pm

Copy that :cool:

I hosted the file (because I know not your e-mail and PM will take about 4 PM's -_-)

Here it is, and for anyone else who wants to view the log to help me figure this out:

http://upload2.net/page/download/MefRt3 ... o.txt.html

Ignore the advertisement Pop up

Enable pop-ups too in order to Download it.
prometheus
Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Postby KiloAlpha4 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:10 am

hmmm not seeing anything out of the ordinary. Did it ctd to desktop or pop up a error window ? If it pops up a error window take a screenshot of it and post it.

Root Shutdown Correct
D3D9 : Shutting down cleanly.
KiloAlpha4
General
General

Postby prometheus » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:21 pm

[quote="KiloAlpha4"]hmmm not seeing anything out of the ordinary. Did it ctd to desktop or pop up a error window ? If it pops up a error window take a screenshot of it and post it.

Root Shutdown Correct
D3D9 : Shutting down cleanly.

remember, if you scroll up, it says a bunch of different things: like unknown exception caught!!

Perhaps you have viewed a topic similar to mine by a member named 'argus'.

I'll try to get some screenies of what happened today, but for now, school time.

Kilo - I can't thank you enough for being patient with me :D
prometheus
Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Postby KiloAlpha4 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:53 pm

remember, if you scroll up, it says a bunch of different things: like unknown exception caught!!

meh it always says that for certain things even on mine with no ctd's. a lot of it is pretty much overall game debug info.

Kilo - I can't thank you enough for being patient with me

no prob , if I can see the error window I will know what to look for. Allies is better in that regard it has a actual crash log.
KiloAlpha4
General
General

Postby prometheus » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:12 pm

Its hard to just take screenshots, because one second the screen will be doing just fine in game, then another it will turn black temporarily, then the other , BAM, i'm just back on my desktop.

I tried to FRAPS it (which is HUGE, 30 secs took 215mbs)

but as fate would have it, it refused to crash when i did >_>.

I'll get back to you if I can get her red handed.
prometheus
Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Postby akagi » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:16 am

ok, the german text in popup messages is starting to get annoying. Don't know what is going on, whether it is important or not.
________
Vermont medical marijuana dispensaries
Last edited by akagi on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
akagi
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby prometheus » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:41 am

Alright Kilo, I took a screeny of one error, and I made two videos, of which I am not going to host because I am having problems with upload, but the other one works just fine and is pretty much the same thing, and some logs (above and beyond =P)

Error log accompanying the first one:

http://upload2.net/page/download/mCqgfn ... y.txt.html

Trying to start campaign:

http://upload2.net/page/download/vZ4xnx ... n.txt.html

(NOTE: These two actually say something at the end of the log)

I also took a screeny of one of the errors (of which i've never experienced):

http://upload2.net/page/download/wuU10p ... d.bmp.html

and the log of it (take a note on this one):

http://upload2.net/page/download/7TZzqZ ... r.log.html
prometheus
Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Postby KiloAlpha4 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:49 am

holy crap you have a lot running in the background lol . Do you use smartclose before running pacific storm to shut off background services ? If not I recommend giving it a try. Bad allocation is usually associated with a memory issue of some sort.

If you have a save before a crash do me one other favor and take that save plus the ProData.xml file, zip them and email me them.
KiloAlpha4
General
General

Postby prometheus » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:17 am

Yep...I always run a ton of progs. in the background.

I've used SmartClose (installed it 3 days ago Ironically enough o_o) to install and play the game, but to no avail.

Yes, I'll get right on that save - then after - crashes - then send it zipped alone with ProData ;D
prometheus
Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Postby prometheus » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:45 am

Kilo, whenever I try to start campaign, and it loads the red bar all the way up to full, it will crash. But, it will give me and error message (thank God).

So here, it kept referring to this path file, and I'm going to send you it. Its called appcompat.txt - if it comprimises my security of my computer, please delete this post.

http://upload2.net/page/download/HaGiBF ... o.txt.html

One question: I noticed it says in the code one of the problems, NVIDIA was listed. This was back in the day when I didn't know what I driver was and I installed random things. By removing this NVIDIA driver (of which I have no card) will that improve anything?

Thanks

prom
prometheus
Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Postby Ulixes » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:41 pm

Do you have something like K-lite Codec pack on your PC?
PS and PSA Project Lead
Ulixes
Major General
Major General

Postby prometheus » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:41 am

[quote="Ulixes"]Do you have something like K-lite Codec pack on your PC?

I don't believe I do.

Anything similar to it is beyond me, I'm not very good with computers as I aforementioned. >_<

I think I installed the latest video reader, however, for whatever type of reader that Youtube requires (FlashPlayer9)
prometheus
Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Postby KiloAlpha4 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:52 am

the older nvidia vid drivers shouldn't really be hurting anything as they are not being used but I'd uninstall them anyhow, can't hurt lol. What operating system are you using btw ?

another thing you could try is go to start/run type dxdiag and hit enter or o.k. . Check the video/ main dx file list and audio etc tabs for any problems or errors ( yellow triangular exclamation point ) and also to see what your version of direct x is-which wouldn't hurt to check for a newer update of direct x also if you haven't in a few months. Shots in the dark but it is very hard to determine what is going on between your system and the game. I would also make sure your vid and audio acceleration is maxed and your cards are set properly in there ( example vid card in bios is 8x and is also 8x agp in dxdiag video and in ATI driver catalyst control center )

if it comprimises my security of my computer, please delete this post.

no worries it's just a driver list with driver name and version etc..

btw if you haven't updated all your drivers I would check for newer versions. Motherboard controller drivers ( ram etc etc ) , audio drivers, video etc etc and even microsoft update for the runtime files. I would even check for any bios updates for your motherboard which sometimes may fix ram conflicts etc etc on the main board if you haven't already.

personally I'm leaning more toward your problems being system related then game related where the game is not jelling with your comp be it old driver/corrupt driver/missing driver...etc. Hopefully we can help you to track it down but it may take some time to do so.

But, it will give me and error message (thank God).

please post it if ya don't mind it may help us in tracking down your problem.

Just thought of one other possibility, check your virtual memory and let me know what amount it is set for. Ok one other thing, are you using any ram freeing applications or applications that "protect" ram block allocations on your computer ? ( certain ram address ranges ) such as a actively running/scanning anti virus program etc ?
KiloAlpha4
General
General

Postby prometheus » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:57 pm

dxdiag has found no problems.

I think I have found the main problem, however.

None other than my computer. It has a TON of registry problems, and I think i'm going to have to reformat.

I'll get back to yall when I do.

Thanks for the help anyways Kilo, Ulixes :)
prometheus
Airman First Class
Airman First Class

Next

Return to Pacific Storm Support